The purpose of the Ilse und Helmut Wachter-
Stiftung is the furthering of medical
science for the welfare of mankind and to
raise the reputation of the Innsbruck Medical
University. This shall be accomplished
by granting a scientific award.
In 1994, Prof. Wachter and his spouse
Ilse made a donation in order to support
and acknowledge medical sciences for
the welfare of mankind, the resulting grant
is called „Ilse & Helmut Wachter Award“.
Awarding Prof. Avram Hershko and Prof.
Aaron Ciechanover in 1999 (Nobel Prize
Laureates in Chemistry 2004) reflects the
outstanding quality of nominees and the
excellent prestige of this very attractive
Dr. Ilse Wachter
Dr. Ilse Wacher, née Nagele, was born
in Innsbruck in 1925. She finished lower
and upper secondary academic education
in Innsbruck. During her last years of high
school, she was obliged to participate
in the war duties. After graduating from
high school, she was assigned to work in
the Air Force arms cache in Munich and
as a guard assistant in Munich and Innsbruck.
At the same time, in the summer of
1943, she began to study medicine at the
Leopold Franzen’s University in Innsbruck.
She graduated in 1950 as a doctor of
general medicine (Dr. med. univ.). After
that, she worked as a trainee and rotationdoctor in the Hospital Hall, as well as in
the Innsbruck University Clinics. In 1954,
she began her specialization in pediatrics
and was integrated into the buildup of the
Pediatrics University Hospital in Innsbruck.
In 1956, she got married to Prof. Dr.
Helmut Wachter. After earning the title of
medical specialist in pediatrics in 1958,
she opened her private practice in 1959
and managed it until 1986. In recognition
of her work as physician the Paracelsus
Medal was lent her in 1986.
em.O.Univ.-Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Helmut Wachter (†)
University Professor Dr. DDr. h.c. Helmut
Wachter was born in Landeck in 1929,
as forth of six children. After finishing
elementary and secondary education, in
1949 he began to study Pharmacy at the
Leopold Franzens University in Innsbruck.
He finished his studies in 1954 and earned
the title Magister of Pharmacy. During the
following two years, he worked on his PhD
thesis at the Institute for Pharmaceutical
Chemistry (head: Prof. Dr. Maria Kuhnert).
He finished it in 1956 earning the title
Doctor of Philosophy. The same year he
married Dr. Ilse Nagele. From 1957 until
1960, he studied medicine. In 1958, he
began working as university assistant at the
Institute for Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry
at the Medical Faculty at the Innsbruck
University where he remained until
the retirement in 1997.